It's not like Nike didn't already have the best workout shoes on the market in the form of the recent T3 Award 2020 winner Nike Free X Metcon 2, but with the Nike Metcon 6, the Oregon-based company elevated their workout shoes game even higher.
Emphasising Nike-athlete Mat Fraser in the promo material makes it crystal clear who the real target market for the Metcon 6 is: CrossFitters. In case you didn't know, Mat Fraser is four-times CrossFit Games Champion, and although the name 'CrossFit' is not mentioned even once in the press release (probably for legal reasons) taking Mat onboard means Nike's planning on taking on the world of CF with these shoes. There is even a Mat Fraser Edition Nike Metcon 6!
- Best workout gloves
- Best HIIT workout gear
- ASICS Runners Face Cover review: an excellent running face mask that you can drink through
- Under Armour SPORTSMASK review: face mask for exercise and running outpaces normal coverings
Nike Metcon 6: image gallery
Nike Metcon 6: features
The Metcon 6 sports a mesh upper for better breathability: in fact, according to Nike, "the upper of the Metcon 6 provides 18 percent more airflow than the Metcon 5." Looking at the feature list, the aim to please CrossFitters with the Nike Metcon 6 is even clearer:
- Heel clip: minimises friction on the wall for fast handstand push ups
- Hyperlift insert plus wider heel construction: stabilises body for squats, snatches and cleans
- Dual-density drop-in midsole: provides comfort and stability during box jumps and double-unders
- Directional traction design: catches on the rope wrap for ascents and pushes
- Haptic topcoat: handles abrasion on the ropa, asphalt and turf
The new Nike Metcon 6 is also the first Metcon to use the FlyEase technology: "a TPU tail gate on the heel allows the athlete to step down and collapse the heel counter, making for easy access without the need to retie laces", the press release goes on.
Essentially, you can step in and out the shoes without having to undo the laces. Not all versions of the Metcon 6 will feature FlyEase, though, so make sure you choose the right model when you buy your new shoes.
Nike Metcon 6: yet more images
Nike Metcon 6: price, release date
The Nike Metcon 6 releases 4 August to Nike Members. A global release follows 31 August and includes the FlyEase version. Pre-order it here.
The RRP of the Nike Metcon 6 is TBC.
- Try this 15-minute HIIT workout: it will melt belly fat and leave you lying on the floor