Oppo is the first smartphone manufacturer to reveal its rollable screen tech in action, with the stunning Oppo X 2021 that could easily be one of the best phones of, uh, 2021. But hot on the heels of the reveal came Samsung insiders with the news that the company is working on its own rollable smartphone to take on Oppo.
According to leakers, the new device is set to be the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold S, which could debut in the next couple of years. Details are thin on the ground right now, but initial rumors suggest the tech is similar tech to the Oppo X 2021.
- Where to buy PS5: PlayStation 5 US and UK stock guide (updated TODAY)
- Samsung Galaxy S21 in for a beatdown as Apple lines up iPhone 13 sucker punch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 heads for retirement as new Galaxy Fold 3 feature breaks cover
Galaxy Z Fold ScrollNovember 17, 2020
Samsung leaker Ice Universe, who has a good track record with similar rumors, has said that a Samsung Galaxy Z Fold S or Samsung Galaxy Z Fold Scroll device could be coming in the near future, posting the information alongside an image of the Oppo X 2021.
They further clarified that at this stage the device is only in the “laboratory test” phase of development, so is still a long way off and likely will not be the first to market. We know that Oppo has similar plans for the Oppo X 2021, and Ice Universe also stated that Huawei, Xiaomi, and potentially others will also have similar sliding phones in the next year.
The news is hardly surprising; Samsung has been a pioneer of foldable screens in phones, and this style of device seems to be the next big thing in the space, but there could be some interesting potential legal battles when it comes to the sliding design. Oppo stated that it has applied for 122 patents for the Oppo X 2021, and if granted, that could throw a spanner in the works for any other companies looking to get in on the sliding screen market, especially when it comes to the sliding screen motor that Oppo is using, which has 12 patents alone.
But fans of more traditional style folding screens – if you can even say that at this point – shouldn't be worried, as Ice Universe also revealed that Samsung will release a Galaxy Z Fold 3 that will feature an under display camera and second-generation Ultra Thin Glass technology, as well as S Pen support.
Samsung's under screen camera tech could be a real game-changer when it comes to the design of phones, eliminating the notch and holepunch camera altogether.
The emergence of a new line of devices lends weight to rumor that the Note line is in danger, with Samsung dropping it in favor of the Z series, which will become the new flagship device for the company's mobile division.
While Samsung was first in the foldables market, it looks like it's going to be late to the party when it comes to expandable screens.
If you're looking for a new phone that exists in the here and now in the meantime, we've rounded up the best Samsung Galaxy Note 20 deals and Galaxy S20 deals from around the web, so you're sure to find a bargain on a brand new smartphone.
If you're after anything else, head over to our Black Friday deals page for more!
- Allsaints – 30% off everything
- Amazon.co.uk – huge sale from Friday 20 to Monday 30 November
- AO.com – 1,000 deals on household appliances large and small
- Argos – big deals with same-day home delivery
- ASOS– savings on over 850 brands from 27 – 30 November
- Boohoo – up to 80% off everything
- B&Q – massive DIY sale on now
- Bose – save up to 45%
- Currys – save on 4K TVs, laptops and much more
- Dyson – save up to £150 on vacuums, fans and hair care
- eBay.co.uk– up to 50% off right now
- Ernest Jones – save on luxury watches and jewellery
- Goldsmiths.co.uk – up to 50% off watches and jewellery
- John Lewis – deals on Dyson, Sonos and more
- Le Creuset – save up to 50%
- Lego – 30% off sets
- Lovehoney.co.uk – up to 50% off sex toys and lingerie
- New Look – different offers every daty
- Nike – 30% off sale now on
- The North Face – big price drops in the outlet
- Topshop – 20% off jeans and much more
- Topman – buy one get one half price on jeans
- Schuh – save big on shoes, boots and trainers
- Simba – 35% off mattresses and sleep bundles
- The White Company – quality bedding at reduced prices in the White Weekend
- Wiggle – huge savings on cycle clothing, running gear and swimwear
- Urban Decay – 30% off everything
- Very – deals on Nike, Nintendo and other top brands