One of the biggest challenges many IT professionals and their businesses face is understanding everything an IT organization does (or needs to do). This leads to many different problems such as poor business expectation setting, acquiring or hiring incomplete skills, gaps in IT services, incomplete solutions designs, and much more.
A powerful means of overcoming such problems is to have and work with a comprehensive Blueprint for Information and Technology Management™ (ITM™).
What is a Blueprint for ITM?
A Blueprint for ITM is a set of artifacts that document and contextually organize the many hundreds of IT disciplines, capabilities, services, and functions that are critical to the design and implementation of highly effective IT organizations.
Such artifacts do not focus on technologies, themselves (because they’re constantly changing), but rather on the business functions that are performed by IT leaders and professionals, in order to build out IT organizations that provide services around all the technologies they deliver, operate and support.
Benefits of having a Blueprint for ITM
Having such a blueprint allows for many advantages, such as but not limited to:
- Teaching about the business functions of IT that leaders like CIOs & CTOs constantly worry about,
- A tool for communicating to your business how much your IT organization actually does for them,
- Designing and implementing IT organizations that follow industry best practices,
- Assessing IT organizations and the maturity of their capabilities/functions,
- Developing IT Strategy and for the buildout of Strategic Roadmaps,
- Language Control: A taxonomy for seeding systems (such as for Document Management Systems, Search Tools, Modeling Tools, Service Catalogs, etc.), and
- A tool for managing complex projects like Migrations, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&As) and Divestitures.
In short, with a Blueprint for ITM, IT professionals have a broader understanding and more comprehensive checklist of IT capabilities and functions that allow them to be more effective and efficient in their work.
The IF4IT Blueprint for ITM™
The IF4IT has developed and maintains the industry’s most comprehensive “Blueprint for Information and Technology Management™ (ITM)™.”
The Blueprint for ITM is offered and made available to IT professionals in two forms: in a PDF overview format and in a codified format.
The blueprint overview, which is pretty comprehensive in and of itself, is freely available to Active Web Site Members.
The fully codified (a.k.a. systematized) version of the blueprint provides approximately 700 IT business functions that are itemized, cleansed, interlinked (i.e. Parent/Child/Other relationships). It is available in Comma Separated Value (CSV) format and can be loaded into systems like Architecture Modeling Tools (AMTs), Service Catalogs, Document Management Systems (DMSs), Content Management Systems (CMSs) and Search Tools. The fully codified version is available to paid Professional Members. (Coming soon via the web site. However, you can directly contact the IF4IT for access to it, until then.) We maintain it for you, so you don’t have to.
The following permutations are all trademarks of the International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT):
- “Blueprint for Information and Technology Management™”
- “Blueprint for Information & Technology Management™”
- “Information and Technology Management™”
- “Information & Technology Management™”
- “Blueprint for Information Technology™”
- “Blueprint for IT™”
- “IT Blueprint™”