Operating System Requirements
- A computer that has Unix/Linux installed, either directly or through a Virtual Machine (VM)
- The NOUNZ Data Compiler does not run directly on Windows operating systems so for Windows computers you’ll need a Virtual Machine that runs Unix/Linux.
Runtime Language Requirement
- The Ruby Interpreter (NOUNZ is written in and runs on Ruby).
- Along with the Ruby Interpreter, there are a couple of simple Ruby Gems that will need to be installed.
- You do not need to know how to program in Ruby.
- A basic understanding of how to install compilers (e.g. C, C++, or Java compilers).
- A basic understanding of how to run compilers from the command line, in a Terminal Shell.
- You do not need to know how to program. However, it is always helpful if you do know how to write, execute and debut small basic scripts from the command line in a Terminal shell. The NOUNZ Data Compiler will emit Error Messages and Warnings to the screen (stdout) and/or to log files that you will need to be able to access and work with.
Web Rendering Requirements (Optional)
If you wish to share the NOUNZ generated static HTML files with broader communities of people, you may want to install or have access to a Web Server.
- Apache Web Server for Unix/Linux
- or IIS (for Windows)
- NOTE: There are other web servers that may also work. NOUNZ generates simple static HTML files that simply need to be put in a folder and exported via a domain URL to broader communities.